In the aftermath of another Labor Day I present an early-September edition of DYK. Here we go…
Did You Know…?
- Only 41% of employees feel they know what their company stands for and what makes it different from their competitors.
- According the federal government, about 80% of Hospitals and just over 50% of doctors offices have started keeping electronic medical records.
- Only 22% of employees indicate they are thriving in both their work lives and personal lives. This is the group most likely to maintain strong work performance in difficult times.
- Employees are more enthusiastic about and committed to their jobs in the first 6 months of employment than in any other stage of employment.
- 63% of HR Managers said they often conduct video interviews, up from just 14% a year ago.
- Did you ever get a text “spam” from Papa Johns? If so, they owe you $50. You can see what monies you are due from class action lawsuits you never knew existed by visiting TopClassActions.com. Another example? $5 for the Frosted Mini-Wheats you bought in 2008. Seriously.
- The average worker experiencing muscle, tendon, ligament, or bone pain (not including backaches) loses 5.5 hours a week in productivity.
- Louisiana leads the country with the highest percentage of engaged workers, at 37%, followed closely by Oklahoma at 36%. South Dakota, Georgia, Arkansas, and South Carolina each have 34% of engaged workers.The lowest number of engaged workers? Minnesota at 26%.
- 21% of workers in Rhode Island are actively disengaged, as are 20% of employees in New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, Vermont, Kentucky, and Illinois. Idaho has the lowest percentage of actively disengaged workers at 14%.
- According to research the color blue has a calming effect. It causes the brain to release calming hormones.
- Engaged employees with a lot of flextime have 44% higher wellbeing than actively disengaged employees with very little to no flextime.
- In 2012 the generational make-up of the U.S. workforce was as follows: 4% Traditionalists, 44% Baby Boomers, 44% Generation X, 8% Millennials.
- Generations near the beginning and approaching the end of their careers tend to be more engaged than those in the middle, according to Gallup.
- Gallup also says that engagement for Millennials, Generation X, and Baby Boomers is connected to having a strong sense of what their organization stands for. How are we doing in that area? (Hint: See the first fact.)
- Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. Six-year-olds laugh an average of 300 times a day. The average adult laughs 13 times a day. Go do something silly.
(Take a minute and say hello in the comments box below! ~Joe)